Monday, October 8, 2012

Traditional versus sand ceremony

I have a good friend that is in every essence very traditional. I've known her since we were young and I could remember she would never stray from her family's traditions. She says those traditions go a long way back, passed from one generation to the next. But understandably us humans have the tendency to want to break away from the social norm. We want to be different. So come her wedding day, she did just that. My friend changed a few things. One part of the ceremony I found really nice was instead of using a traditional candle, the couple used sand and had a sand ceremony. It was very thoughtful. Two different coloured grains of sand were mixed together to symbolise unity that can never be broken apart just like sand. The grains may have different colours but it's impossible to completely separate them once mixed together. It was among other things my friend changed in a traditional wedding, but I could actually see she wanted a deep and meaningful ceremony. One that she and the groom will remember for the rest of their lives. That's what matters more than tradition anyway, in my opinion.

No comments:

Raising bilingual kids

I am pretty proud about our eldest being able to speak my mother tongue (Filipino). As young as one year old we taught her to speak Tagalo...