Thursday, May 29, 2008

Counting Passwords


On passwords, computers, swipes and machines

Today I was asked by my computer to change my password again. At work, we have this security thing to change passwords once a month. It is a bit annoying.

How computer-dependent-password crazy is the world?? Everyone would have at the very least 2 passwords at a time. I have at least about 22.

Okay, so here is what I am talking about…. An extraordinary day….

I wake up in the morning turn my phone on and my phone asks for a key lock code (1). I turn it on and all is good. I get ready for work and on my way to the train I pop into an ATM machine to get some cash, but before it dispenses anything I key in my password (2). I then go to work, swipe my work ID onto the machine, good thing the door opens with my thumb print!! I swipe my ID card again to get onto my floor. Before gaining access to my door I swipe my ID again. I sit on my desk. I type in my password (3) to gain access to my phones. Then switch on my PC. Computer asks for my log ins. Mind you it asks for passwords for work email, reservation system, and three confidential work stuff (4) (5) (6) (7) (8). I then work throughout the day with occasional visits to the toilet and the next floor each time requires me to swipe my ID in and out every single time. At my lunch break I remember to pay rent and so I log onto my internet banking, enter my password (9) and that is done. Less money in my account! L I decided to check my PayPal account to see if I have any additional funds, I type in my password (10) again and see that I have a fair bit. Makes me happy. I take my lunch and then before I know it, lunch is over. Back to work until about 5pm and then swipe out of the office building. Take the train home and have dinner. Check my emails, of course typing my passwords for each email that I check which I have a fair bit (11) (12) (13) (14) and then log on to a few blog sites that ask for my passwords again (15) (16) (17) (18) (19). I check my friendster, multiply, and other networking accounts type in passwords again (20) (21) (22). I close my PC. And retire for the night. Only to wake up and the process starts all over again.

Are we so dependent on computers and machines? Keeping track of one’s passwords can be quite taxing. One can resort to writing them all down. Corresponding log ins/ user names and passwords, and pray that no one ever finds this sheet of paper. The above stuff pertaining to passwords that I write about are the ones that I can think of now. I can think of other things that I have created accounts and passwords for. Don’t you wish that one password was enough for EVERY thing?? Imagine keeping at least 22 passwords. Crazy if you ask me.


Modern world + Technology + X Amount Log Ins + Y Amount Password = XY Techno Stress
PS: I forgot even my laptop at home has its own password!! Ieeek!! :X

2 comments:

Big Eyed Nurse said...

I know what you mean. It's a good thing I don't work anymore. I hate it when the system prompts you to change your password. So when I go on a long vacation, I completely forget my new passwords and I'd have to ask the SA to reset it. Bwahahaha!

Gorgeous Traveller said...

VAL: Lucky you!! :) Kainis no pag super tagal i-reset. We have our passwords reset either by the U.S. or South America! It takes literally weeks!

Raising bilingual kids

I am pretty proud about our eldest being able to speak my mother tongue (Filipino). As young as one year old we taught her to speak Tagalo...