Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Migrant thoughts and Raising a bilingual child



It seems I have a lot of time on my hands to be pondering about thoughts on being a migrant and raising a bilingual child. But I don't have all the time, in fact I have a million things on my to do list. However I want to linger on this topic and just think.

Hubby and I wanted to temporarily leave our Sydney home and head back to Manila home for a couple of years. A number or reasons pushed us to move back. One of the major reason being to spend time with family and friends. Not so much for us, but for little B. Hubby and I grew up basking in the love from our grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, other family members, and friends. We wanted to have our little girl experience a happy childhood filled with memories of time spent with family and friends. That more than anything else pushed us to consider to move back for a while.

Now, we are not as convinced about the move (yes if only for family reasons - but we realised this is not a simple equation - so many considerations!). If only it was simple decision!

As much as I would like to write endlessly about moving back home to Manila - I am now in the mood to research about raising a bilingual child. Having one of those moments! I am delaying having to work from home now.....



No comments:

Raising bilingual kids

I am pretty proud about our eldest being able to speak my mother tongue (Filipino). As young as one year old we taught her to speak Tagalo...